Learn. Compete. Keep fit. Cool off.
There are a number of reasons why you’d get in a swimming pool. Learn to swim safely, do some laps in your own time or join a squad to take it up a notch. Well, you can do all of that at our state of the art aquatic centre.
Our nationally accredited swimming instructors teach both kids and adults how to swim safely in a number of environments. We’ll work on a number of strokes as well as key lifesaving skills.
Our kids and adults classes are run separately.
What to bring:
- Kids under three need to wear a swimming nappy
- Kids three and over need to wear a swimming cap
Online Assessment tool:
Complete our quick online quiz to find out what water animal your child would be in our swimming program. Please note that this is just a guide and an in centre assessement may be required to determine the level best suited to your child.
Take the quiz now!
Want to learn more?
Click the links below to find out more information about the program here at Canberra Olympic Pool.
Talk to someone about swimming lessons
How much do swimming lessons cost?
View our swimming lessons level progression chart
Do you have your sights on the Olympics? Or do you just want to work on your stroke? Whatever your motivation, we’ve got a squad and swimming coach that’s the right fit for you.The squad program at Canberra Olympic Pool is proudly run in affiliation with is Cruiz Swim Club.
Youth levels available include:
- Blue squad offers young swimmers the opportunity to develop all four strokes and skills in preparation for school carnivals and development level swim meets. Swimmers are encouraged to attend 2+ sessions a week. Swimmers are required to swim 50m freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke utilising efficient technique and have an understanding of the butterfly kick as determined by the Head Squad Coach.
- Bronze squad offers young swimmers the opportunity to develop all four strokes and skills in preparation for school carnivals and development-level swim meets. Swimmers are encouraged to attend 3+ sessions a week. Swimmers are required to swim 50m of each stroke utilising efficient technique as determined by the Head Squad Coach.
- Silver squad is for young swimmers who demonstrate efficient technique as well as endurance. At this level, swimmers should be preparing for qualifying and country level meets. Swimmers are encouraged to attend 4+ sessions per week. Swimmers are required to swim 50m of each stroke utilising efficient technique and meet time cycle requirements as
determined by the Head Squad Coach. Equipment needed includes kickboard, pool buoy, fins and a kit bag.
- Gold squad is for young swimmers looking to compete at senior state or national level. Swimmers are encouraged to attend 5+ sessions a week. Squad entry is determined by the Head Squad Coach. Equipment needed includes kickboard, pool buoy, snorkel, small hand paddles, fins and a kit bag.
Our Adult Swim Squad program is designed to deliver high quality swimming programs to a wide range of participants. From the competitive swimmer, to triathletes and social swimmers, our aim is to deliver a quality structured program aimed at improving your swimming ability and physical fitness. Within our program we have three levels:
- Level 1 swims on average 2.5kms per session. This level focuses on stroke development through the use of drills and coached technique advice whilst increasing fitness levels.
- Level 2 swims on average 3kms per session. This level focuses on increasing fitness levels while fine tuning technique for all strokes.
- Level 3 swims on average 3.5kms per session. This level utilises a range of training systems to increase speed, fitness and pace. Swimmers in this level are expected to swim all four strokes.
Want to learn more? Contact Head Coach: Laura.Brindley@ymcansw.org.au
View Squads Timetable
Aquatics for fun
Getting in the pool can be a whole lot of fun – and great for your health.
Aqua Aerobics is a fun and low impact workout option that will help improve your fitness, strength or recover from an injury. Classes are run by a qualified instructor.
Talk to someone about Aqua Aerobics
View Our Timetable
We run swimming and water safety lessons for people with disability. Find out more.